This Post will be continuing, Instead of a new post weekly showing the progress of the windows I will just update this post with pictures and comments as to the progress of the windows.. Check back often…
This week Morgan glass gave me a bid to repair all the windows in the building. They will pull each pane, clean and paint the window trim and frame, replace broken glass and reglaze all 208 windows.
As seen in the picture below the reason the glass is blowing out of the building is the caulking (called Glazing in some places) is completely dried out and fallen away from the glass leaving the glass just sitting in the sill. When the wind blows the remaining glazing cant hold the pressure and the glass falls. As more windows are broken leaving holes in the building the wind channels through the building causing pressure that pushes out more glass.
All the window frames in the building are in good condition, none are rotted which is shocking considering the lack of paint and maintenance preformed. However unfortunately when boarding up the windows no care was taken and probably 30 frames are damaged beyond repair. Instead of just boarding the windows the frames were removed in a hurry destroying them. My bid includes building new frames for the broken windows.
I decided to go with a tan colored high gloss paint. White was a choice but every building has white window trim so I thought I would be different. The trim was wire brushed and scraped, re caulked, then painted.
The frames were removed and sanded. The existing (what was left of it) glazing was removed and so was the glass (If there was glass). New Low E, Tempered glass was installed and glazed with 100 year flexible, water proof glazing and then repainted before being put back together. It took about four hours per window.
OK, As I stated it took four hours to repair this window, one down one hundred thirty seven to go..
Here are some before and after pictured of the first windows..
***** 04/19/09 Windows Update ****
This week the window replacement began in earnest! As of tonight we have replaced and painted 22 of 208 windows. The front is going considerable faster than expected but I expect the seriously damaged windows along the west side of the building to slow down progress considerably.
Each window will be as good as new, they will open and function as they did when first installed. .
The plan is to replace the front of the building first. Then we will begin on the first floor and work back on the West side of the building working our way floor by floor until complete. Then the East side will be next, leaving the back of the building until the end. I want to replace the basement windows as well but am concerned about breakage until I find a tenant for the basement.
The window color will help give the building a clean look by not showing dirt as much as white trim.
***** 04/26/09 Windows Update ****
The front is 60% done…
Thanks for checking in, I will update next week!
*** Update May 12th 2009 ****
Sorry I haven’t updated in a couple weeks, Ive been swamped with work, however we are still trucking along with the building. I am sure you have noticed the windows are coming along nicely and I am proud to say that as of today we have completed 65 of the 208 windows. The front is totally complete and we are working along the other sides at the current time. Thanks to the people who ran the cones and tape along the rear and side of the building. I informed the workers today to move them against the building if they do not plan to work that side of the building as to allow parking when were not working that side.
After a super busy month of July cleaning out the basement, we are back on the windows. To ease my confusion of randomly replacing windows we are starting on the basement and working out way around the building and moving up floor by floor. This way its easier to keep track of what has been replaced and not. Thanks for everyones patience, even though we are behind schedule its still better than sitting dormant.